Bangor Cathedral, originally founded and dedicated to the Welsh saint, St Deiniol in 525AD is one of the oldest cathedral sites in Britain. Nothing remains of the earliest structure, with the Cathedral having been destroyed and rebuilt several times since its conception. The building as we see it today underwent extensive restoration throughout 1868-84 by Sir Gilbert Scott, whilst the current arcade and clerestory, as well as the West tower date back to the sixteenth century.
Many of the stained-glass windows within the Cathedral were installed during the 19th century restoration. A window given by the Lord Penrhyn, located on the south wall of the presbytery depicts ten scenes from the Act of the Apostles and was produced by prolific London stained-glass firm, Clayton and Bell. Well known for their collaboration with Gothic Revival architects, Clayton and Bell’s windows can be found all over the United Kingdom and in many countries across the globe.
Over the past 20 years, Jamie and the team at Recclesia Stained Glass have worked on the conservation of most of the stained glass windows at the Cathedral alongside Donald Insall Associates, ranging from planned conservation projects to emergency repair projects, including the rescue of the South Transept tracery which was badly damaged in a storm in 2020, leaving it hanging from the masonry by a thread - needless to say, scaffolding went up quickly that day!
Stained Glass & Leaded Light Conservation
Emergency Rescue & Repair